Friday, April 30, 2010

VORTEX Eve!

Hello all from Norman, Oklahoma!

Today we arrived in Norman, Oklahoma at the National Weather Center (home to the National Severe Storms Laboratory and the OU School of Meteorology). After a bright and early flight from State College to Oklahoma City, the PSU team assembled. We had a nice lunch with some PSU alums now at OU before having our mobile mesonet meeting. It was great to see some old faces from last year, as well as some new ones.

Now that all the reunions are done, it's time to get this show on the road. The weather doesn't look too promising for tornadoes this weekend. There's an outside chance we may chase storms further south in Texas tomorrow, but it's most likely that we'll do some test/training operations around Norman. Though there was intense weather in Arkansas tonight, we don't chase there because it is too hilly and forrested (it's hard to use radars with trees in the way!). Beyond this weekend, things look slightly better, but it's too hard to tell. In general, everyone is just very excited to be here.

That's all I have for now, I'll be sure to post more as more happens. Unfortunately, when I was packing tonight I realized I lost my camera's USB cord, so i'll be unable to upload pictures for a little while until I buy a replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment